Monday, May 21, 2012

441 Blue Danube



"Blue Danube", oil on canvas, 16x20". For sale on Etsy.

I know that this probably looks like an ordinary flower painting, but, like all of my artworks, there is a story behind it. There is also a little additional online media connected to it. 

The piece is built around the phrase "blue danube". So, of course, I went to the library and picked up several versions of the Blue Danube Waltz by Johann Strauss II. I made an iTunes playlist of the five recordings I found, then listened to them until they earwormed me. This put me in the right state of mind to make a painting about "blue danube". The flowers in the painting are the 'Blue Danube' Stokes' aster (Stokesia laevis) and the 'Blue Danube' camassia (Camassia leichtlinii).

The online media accompanying the piece is a SoundCloud recording of me reading an excerpt from The Danube: A Cultural History by Andrew Beattie (which I found by using Google Books) with "House of the Blue Danube" from Malcolm McLaren and the Bootzilla Orchestra's 1989 album "Waltz Darling" playing in the background. You can listen to the recording from the link above (or, if that's not working, go here: http://soundcloud.com/kamilah-gill/blue-danube (sorry for no hyperlink, Blogger is borked today)).

No comments:

Post a Comment